TRADITIONAL - 11th GRADERS
This traditional college scholarship is valued at up to $10,000 per year for up to five years. It is available to 11th graders and will be awarded directly to the college or university of enrollment.
Students are required to maintain a cumulative 2.5 grade point average (GPA) and complete certain graduation requirements their senior year of high school in order to receive the scholarship the first year of college. Students must enroll in college full-time beginning the fall semester immediately following high school graduation.
To remain eligible once enrolled in college, students must meet minimum annual requirements and complete a short renewal application each year.
Once entering the system, a student will complete these steps in this order:
2. Complete an eligibility requirements check and, if determined eligible:
3. Complete the application
4. Complete a list of tasks (writing an essay, requesting recommendation(s), uploading an unofficial transcript, and signing a waiver)
5. Submit the application and tasks
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY?
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current eleventh grader during the application cycle;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Attend a public, charter, or private high school or be home-schooled in one of the six counties listed above;
- Be a:
- United States citizen or National of the United States
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident
- An individual authorized to live and work in the U.S. (this includes DACA
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards U.S.
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative high school GPA (five semesters from 9th grade to the fall semester of 11th grade) or at least a 16 on the ACT or at least an 800 on the SAT); and
- Be considered low- or modest-income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be $12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the student’s college education.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- You will need to create an account on this website, once the application cycle re-opens.
- You will complete the application on-line, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing a copy of your current high school transcript from ninth grade until the present;
- Providing verification of ACT/SAT scores if you have taken the test(s); and
- Providing names and emails of two individuals who will complete on online recommendation form (letters of recommendations are not accepted but must be completed online).
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
Application opens on January 1, 2018. The deadline to apply is 12 midnight on March 2, 2018.
Scholarships will be awarded in May 2018.
HOW MUCH IS THE TRADITIONAL SCHOLARSHIP?
The traditional college scholarship award is up to $10,000 per year for up to five years.
WHERE CAN YOU USE THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship may only be used at one of the 17 colleges and universities in the KC Scholars Postsecondary Network.
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
For the 2018 application cycle, KC Scholars will award 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- at least 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- up to 200 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
Click below for an application checklist (what you need to do and what materials you will need each step of the application process).