COLLEGE SAVINGS MATCH
This college savings match program is available to 9th graders and is a one-time award. Each year, up to 1,000 students selected through the application process will receive $50 in a 529 College Savings Plan. Out of those 1,000 9th graders, 50 will be selected to be in the four-to-one match and incentives program in which a student can earn up to $7,000 paid toward college.
Students must enroll in college full-time beginning the fall immediately following high school graduation. The college savings match and incentives funds will be sent directly to the college or university.
Once entering the system, a student will complete these steps in this order:
2. Complete an eligibility requirements check and, if determined eligible:
3. Complete the application
4. Complete a list of tasks (writing an essay, requesting recommendation(s), uploading an unofficial transcript, and signing a waiver)
5. Submit the application and tasks
WHO CAN APPLY?
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current 9th grader during the application cycle;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson, and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Attend a public, charter, or private high school or be home-schooled in one of the six eligible counties listed above.
- Be a:
- United States citizen or National of the United States
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards U.S. permanent residency
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) in 7th and 8th grade
- Be considered low- or modest- income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be $12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the student’s college education.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUBMIT WITH YOUR APPLICATION?
- Essay answering two prompts provided by the program
- Copy of your middle school transcript to include all semesters during 7th and 8th grade
- One recommendation
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
For the 2017 application, KC Scholars awarded 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- 50 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Match- 1,000 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment and 50 of the 1,000 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION DEADLINE?
The deadline to apply for the first scholarship awarded was March 3, 2017; please check back for details about the 2018 award cycle.
WHEN WILL APPLICANTS BE NOTIFIED IF SELECTED?
Notifications to both recipients and non-recipients during the current application cycle will be made in May 2017.
WHERE CAN YOU USE YOUR COLLEGE SAVINGS MATCH AND INCENTIVE FUNDS?
The scholarship may only be used at one of the 17 colleges or universities partnering with KC Scholars.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
Click below for an application checklist (what you need to do and what materials you will need each step of the application process).