COLLEGE SAVINGS ACCOUNT/MATCH
Each year, up to 500 students will be selected through the application process to have a 529 college savings account opened with $50 from KC Scholars; these recipients will also receive college planning advisement through KC Scholars. Out of the 500 9th graders that have a college savings account set up by KC Scholars, at least 50 will be selected to be in the four-to-one match and incentives program in which a student can earn up to $7,000 paid toward college. This is a one-time award and is not renewable.Students in the match and incentive program must enroll in college full-time beginning the fall immediately following high school graduation. The college savings match and incentives funds will be sent directly to the college or university.
- Complete the College Savings Account/Match Application
- Complete College Savings Account/Match Essay
- Send Request for Recommendation – the recommender will receive and complete an online form. Letters are accepted.
- Upload High School Transcript (must include grades from first semester of 9th grade)
- Sign Participation Agreement
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY?
HOW MUCH IS THE COLLEGE SAVINGS ACCOUNT/MATCH?
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
WHERE CAN YOU USE YOUR COLLEGE SAVINGS MATCH AND INCENTIVE FUNDS?
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
READY TO APPLY
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current 9th grader during the application cycle
- Home-schooled or attend a public, charter, or private high school in one of the six eligible counties (Wyandotte and Johnson in Kansas and Cass, Clay, Jackson, and Platte in Missouri)
- Be lawfully present in the United States, or present in the United States under a deferred removal program, as identified by at least one of the following:
- A United States citizen or national of the United States.
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident.
- An individual authorized to live and work in the U.S.
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards U.S. permanent residency.
- You will need to create an account on this website after January 1, 2018.
- You will complete the application online, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing a copy of your current high school transcript from your first semester of 9th grade; and
- Providing the name and email address of one individual who will complete on online recommendation form (letters of recommendations are not accepted but must be completed online).
Applications opened on January 1, 2018. The deadline to apply is 12 midnight on March 2, 2018. Scholarships will be awarded in May 2018.
For the 2018 application cycle, KC Scholars will award at least 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- at least 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- up to 200 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment in a 529 college savings account and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)