COLLEGE SAVINGS MATCH
Each year, up to 500 students will be selected to have a 529 college savings account seeded with $50 from KC Scholars; these recipients will also receive college planning advisement through KC Scholars. Out of those 500 9th graders that have a college savings account set up by KC Scholars, at least 50 will be selected to be in the 4:1 match and incentives program in which a student can earn up to $7,000 paid toward college. This is a one-time award and is not renewable.
Students in the match and incentive program must enroll in college full-time beginning the fall immediately following high school graduation. The college savings match and incentives funds will be sent directly to the college or university.
Once entering the system, a student will complete these steps in this order:
2. Complete an eligibility requirements check and, if determined eligible:
3. Complete the application
4. Complete a list of tasks (writing an essay, requesting recommendation(s), uploading an unofficial transcript, and signing a waiver)
5. Submit the application and tasks
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY?
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current 9th grader during the application cycle;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson, and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Attend a public, charter, or private high school or be home-schooled in one of the six eligible counties listed above.
- United States citizen or National of the United States
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards U.S. permanent residency
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) fall semester of 9th grade.
- Be considered low- or modest- income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be $12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the student’s college education.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- You will need to create an account on this website once the application cycle re-opens.
- You will complete the application online, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing a copy of your current high school transcript from your first semester of ninth grade; and
- Providing name and email of one individual who will complete on online recommendation form (letters of recommendations are not accepted but must be completed online).
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
Application opens on January 1, 2018. The deadline to apply is 12 midnight on March 2, 2018.
Scholarships will be awarded in May 2018.
HOW MUCH IS THE COLLEGE SAVINGS ACCOUNT/MATCH?
College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)
WHERE CAN YOU USE YOUR COLLEGE SAVINGS MATCH AND INCENTIVE FUNDS?
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
For the 2018 application cycle, KC Scholars will award 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- at least 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- up to 200 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)