This adult learner scholarship is available to adults who have some college, but no degree. Returning adult learners can receive up to $5,000 per year for up to five years to complete their degree or credit-bearing credential.
Adults must be at least 24 years old at the time of enrollment in the fall semester of 2017 and can enroll in college part-time or full-time. The scholarship will be sent directly to the college or university of enrollment.
To remain eligible once enrolled in college, adult learners must meet minimum annual requirements and complete a short renewal application each year.
WHO CAN APPLY?
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be age 24 or older at the time of college enrollment in the fall of 2017;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Earned at least 12 college credits previously at an accredited, Title IV postsecondary institution;
- Not been enrolled in a postsecondary institution during the 2016-2017 academic year;
- Be a:
- United States citizen or National of the United States
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident
- An individual authorized to live and work in the U.S. (this includes DACA students)
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards
U.S. permanent residency; and
- Be considered low- or modest-income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be $12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the studentâ€™s college education.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- You will need to create an account on this website.
- You will complete the application on-line, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing official transcripts from all colleges or universities you attended and from which you earned college credits; and
- Providing names and emails of two individuals who will write a recommendation for you.
WHERE CAN YOU USE THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship may only be used at one of the 17 colleges and universities in the KC Scholars network.
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
The application opens on January 2, 2017.
The deadline to apply is March 3, 2017.
Awards will be announced in May of 2017.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
Click belowÂ forÂ an application checklist (what you need to do and what materials you will need each step of the application process).