This adult learner scholarship is available to adults who have some college, but no degree. Returning adult learners can receive up to $5,000 per year for up to five years to complete their degree or credit-bearing credential.
Adults must be at least 24 years old at the time of enrollment in the fall semester of 2018 and can enroll in college part-time or full-time. The scholarship will be sent directly to the college or university of enrollment.
To remain eligible once enrolled in college, adult learners must meet minimum annual requirements and complete a short renewal application each year.
- Complete the Adult Learner Scholarship Application
- Complete Adult Learner Scholarship Essay
- Send Request for Recommendation #1 – the recommender will receive and complete an online form. Letters are accepted.
- Send Request for Recommendation #2 – the recommender will receive and complete an online form. Letters are accepted.
- Upload Transcripts (can be unofficial)
- OPTIONAL, IF APPLICABLE: Request to Attend College Outside of the Postsecondary Network
- Sign Participation Agreement
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY?
HOW MUCH IS THE ADULT LEARNER SCHOLARSHIP?
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
WHERE CAN YOU USE THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
- Be age 24 or older at the time of college enrollment in the fall after being awarded a scholarship;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Earned at least 12 college credits previously at an accredited, Title IV postsecondary institution;
- Not been enrolled in a postsecondary institution during the 2017-2018 academic year;
- Be lawfully present in the United States, or present in the United States under a deferred removal program, as identified by at least one of the following:
- A United States citizen or national of the United States.
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident.
- An individual authorized to live and work in the U.S.
- An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards U.S. permanent residency.
- An individual that is Deferred Action For Childhood Arrival (“DACA”) eligible and has applied for or received DACA approval; and
- Be considered low- or modest-income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be 12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the student’s college education.
- You will need to create an account on this website after January 1, 2018.
- You will complete the application on-line, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing official or unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities you attended and from which you earned college credits; and
- Providing names and emails of two individuals who will complete an online recommendation form (letters of recommendations are not accepted but must be completed online)
The adult learner college scholarship award is up to $5,000 per year for up to five years.
For the 2018 application cycle, KC Scholars will award 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- at least 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- up to 200 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment in a 529 college savings account and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)