This adult learner scholarship is available to adults who have some college, but no degree. Returning adult learners can receive up to $5,000 per year for up to five years to complete their degree or credit-bearing credential.
Adults must be at least 24 years old at the time of enrollment in the fall semester of 2018 and can enroll in college part-time or full-time. The scholarship will be sent directly to the college or university of enrollment.
To remain eligible once enrolled in college, adult learners must meet minimum annual requirements and complete a short renewal application each year.
Once entering the system, a student will complete these steps in this order:
2. Complete an eligibility requirements check and, if determined eligible:
3. Complete the application
4. Complete a list of tasks (writing an essay, requesting recommendation(s), uploading an unofficial transcript, and signing a waiver)
5. Submit the application and tasks
APPLICATION AND SELECTION QUESTIONS
WHO CAN APPLY?
You must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be age 24 or older at the time of college enrollment in the fall after being awarded a scholarship;
- Reside in one of the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Earned at least 12 college credits previously at an accredited, Title IV postsecondary institution;
- Not been enrolled in a postsecondary institution during the 2017-2018 academic year;
- United States citizen or National of the United States
- A lawful U.S. permanent resident
- An individual authorized to live and work in the U.S. (this includes DACA students)
An individual that has filed an application to begin the process towards
U.S. permanent residency; and
- Be considered low- or modest-income. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forecaster must be $12,000 or less. The calculation is based on household income, number of members in the family and number of family members that will be in college at the same time. It is the amount of annual financial support a family can be expected to pay toward the student’s college education.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- You will need to create an account on this website once the application cycle re-opens.
- You will complete the application on-line, including:
- Answering two essay questions;
- Providing official or unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities you attended and from which you earned college credits; and
- Providing names and emails of two individuals who will complete an online recommendation form (letters of recommendations are not accepted but must be completed online).
WHEN DO YOU APPLY?
Application opens on January 1, 2018. The deadline to apply is 12 midnight on March 2, 2018.
Scholarships will be awarded in May 2018.
HOW MUCH IS THE ADULT LEARNER SCHOLARSHIP?
The adult learner college scholarship award is up to $5,000 per year for up to five years.
WHERE CAN YOU USE THIS SCHOLARSHIP?
HOW MANY KC SCHOLARS WILL BE SELECTED?
For the 2018 application cycle, KC Scholars will award 500 scholarships:
- Traditional- at least 250 awards (up to $10,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- Adult Learner- up to 200 awards (up to $5,000 a year for up to 5 years)
- College Savings Account/Match- 500 students will be selected for a $50 initial investment and at least 50 of the 500 will be selected for the match program (earn up to $7,000 in match and incentives)